Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Company Visits y Cueca

Today began with two more company visits!  The first company visit took place in HELA, a tool manufacturing company about an hour away from our hotel. Although I couldn’t understand the tour guide very well, I still enjoyed the visit very much.  We got to see how almost all of the tools are manufactured in the large factory room. I never thought making a paintbrush could be such a difficult process!  I am interested to see if the country will expand in the future.  After this company visit, we were off to our second company visit at Centauro.  Centauro is a canned goods processing plant.  They can fruits, vegetables, and ready to eat foods.  This was definitely my favorite company visit! One of the two brothers that own the company gave us the tour.  I think he was the best tour guide we’ve had yet.  You could tell he was very proud of his company and wanted all of us to learn as much as possible about it.  He let us taste test canned peaches, canned tomatoes, and tomato paste.  The company makes their most profit from selling tomato paste.  I thought all of them tasted delicious!  None of us could believe that the canned peaches were three years old! They still tasted fresh!  The tour guide also let us try the pumpkin paste they were producing that day.  The tour guide was kind enough to let a girl in our group take a whole jar of the pumpkin paste home.  I think everyone had a great time at this company visit! After the company visits concluded, we stopped at one of the most famous empanada restaurants in Vina. Our day concluded with a dance lesson on Cueca at the university.  I enjoyed learning this dance because it is a culturally important dance to the country.  The two dancers that taught us were very good at the dance and fun to watch!  I took a huge nap when I got back from the day’s activities.  I can’t wait to have a free morning tomorrow to explore Chile some more.


No comments:

Post a Comment