Friday, May 11, 2012

La Playa y La Casa de Pablo Neruda


554751_3979795459027_1404884477_3641886_1324338004_n.jpgSo far, today was my favorite day of the trip! The day started off poorly when I woke up to find out that the hotel had no running water, but the rest of the day certainly made up for it.  We began our day with a company visit to Indomita, a winery about an hour away from our hotel.  Our tour guide, Sebastion, gave us a wonderful tour and synopsis on how grapes are harvested and how wine is made.  We even got to see the wine cellar!  The visit ended with a wine tasting on the front porch of the beautiful building.  The wonderful weather today made the visit even more enjoyable! After the visit, we were off to La Isla Negra to have lunch and take a tour of a famous Chilean poet’s home, Pablo Neruda.  The lunch was amazing because we got to sit outside at a table that overlooked the beach!  Even though I don’t like seafood, I still thoroughly enjoyed the lunch.  When we finished lunch, we walked down to the beach and enjoyed its beauty for a little while.  I’ll post some pictures I took at the beach below! After spending some time relaxing on the beach, we took our tour of Pablo Neruda’s house.  Pablo was born in 1904 and died in 1973.  We learned that he wrote his first poem when he was only nineteen years old!  I also learned that he married his wife Matilde in his living room and that he was buried just beneath his beautiful home.  He was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1971. Although the tour guide spoke Spanish, she was very patient and spoke slow enough for us to understand some parts of the guided house tour! After the tour was over we headed back to good old Hotel America to get ready for another night in Chile.  Tonight we are going to get dinner for Alison Bundy’s birthday. I can’t wait! Tomorrow we are going to play sports with the Chilean students all day.   I hope my years of playing soccer in elementary school will help me out!





No comments:

Post a Comment