Sunday, May 6, 2012

Finally In Chile!


After a long, eight-hour flight to Santiago, we are finally here!  I thought the traveling was going to be much more difficult than it was but everything went smoothly.  The only difficulty we faced was the pickiness of the people accepting our money for the country’s entrance fees.  The dollar bills had to be pristine or else they wouldn’t take them; it was very annoying and we really angered some girls on a Canadian handball team behind us in line.  We arrived in he hotel around eleven o’clock this morning and prepared for our first full day in Chile!  After I took my first freezing cold shower, I was ready to go out to our first lunch together as a group.  We went to a Mexican restaurant called Tiki Taco and had a delicious sampling of Mexican food.  The restaurant is putting a picture of our group on their Facebook page! After taking five years of Spanish, I thought I would be able to read/ speak some of the language while I was down here, but so far I had thought wrong.  The natives to the country speak very fast and so far it is hard for me to understand them or communicate with them.  I also need to start to work on learning how to manage the currency here because as of now I am clueless as to how the Peso works.  The two Chilean students we met today are extremely nice and helpful.  They along with the professor in charge of this Pitt program took us to a futbol game this afternoon.  The fans were so loud and dedicated! The Chileans literally never stopped cheering throughout the whole game.  I have been to many sporting events at home and none of the fans compare to the fans down here.  I am now going to head out to have dinner with some of the students in my group.  I had such a good first day, and I can’t wait to continue to learn more throughout this study abroad experience! Below I have included photos of the dedicated fan section at the futbol game and a picture of Molly and I at our first lunch.



No comments:

Post a Comment